The Fresno Madera Medical Society was founded on December 29, 1883 with 12 charter members. Dr. Chester Rowell was the first president of the then Fresno County Medical Society, which was organized in the parlor of the Grand Central Hotel two years before the city of Fresno was incorporated. The Medical Society is credited with being Fresno County’s oldest professional organization and formed the cornerstone of the structure of organized medicine in the area. Members of the Society at that time included physicians from Fresno, Madera and Tulare counties. In 1902, the Society became a chapter of the state association, known then as the Medical Society of California, which became the California Medical Association in 1924. Although the Society’s services and structure have changed over the years, as have physicians and their practice techniques, the Society continues to represent over 1000 physicians in the two-county area advocating for the profession and health of the community.
The Fresno Madera Medical Society, in conjunction with the California Medical Association, seeks to promote the practice of medicine, the delivery of healthcare, medical education, and the well-being of the physicians and communities we serve.